Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New fabric & wasp stings - OUCHIE!!

I decided to do some gardening this afternoon, it was such a gorgeous day. Bright sunshine & a lovely breeze, so not too hot. And thankfully the rain has stayed away. We have a rotten cotoneaster is the far corner of our front garden, which is way too big to dig out, so slowly but surely we have been cutting it back to manageable size. Two weeks ago my DH got stung, not once, but twice, by wasps, (yep, he went back for more), but he couldn't find their nest.

Well, today I found it. Or should I say, it found me. Rotten little blighters. Anyhoo, I fixed 'em. Burnt 'em out, hee hee. Teach them to sting me. Through gardening gloves too. Shows how safe they are. Just as well it wasn't a Funnel Web Spider.




Also got this gorgeous fabric in the mail today, called Toile de Versailles. Now, I'm not usually keen on this kind of thing, although I do like some Toile fabrics, but this is gorgeous, so much nicer than the pics. The white is lovely & crisp & the pattern looks like it has been drawn on.



So, I'm thinking outside the square (shabby chic square that is). I have a gorgeous lamp base, crystal base & 3 round diamond cut crystal inserts & I'm thinking very French. Going to get started on the shade tonight, but have to find some gorgeous fringe or something (also thought maybe pearls) to go on the bottom of the shade. Don't know what colurs though, any suggestions gals?



Hugs, Coll :-}



14 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Gosh, Coll~
I love that fabric, but as soon as I saw about the spiders I went "ick"!

I was so afraid you were going to show a picture of one. Oooh, you don't let those spiders get you girl - leave that to Alan!
Good to hear from you, sweets!
Again, that fabric's beautiful.
xoxo~Tracie

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Okay, that's me - I just see the word spider or a real spider and freak.

Glad it wasn't the real thing. Maybe we have that in common too?
;} ~xo Tracie

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting Colleen! My mum was stung last week, 8 times!! She had to go to hospital,as she is allergic, bit of a mess, swollen everywhere! Apparently wd40 is the killer for them! I have found a few nests vacated, thankfully!
Love the fabric, and cream pearls would look very glam!
Sue

Unknown said...

Oh Coll! I am so sorry you got stung!! I am TERRIFIED of bees, wasps, hornets and spriders!!! Hope you got em' good!

I LOVE that fabric!!! I am a huge fan of toile! Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Love ya,
Amy

Peta said...

I love the graphic quality of that toile so I would keep the trim simple to make the print the main feature. Maybe some black silk braid and pearls to trim.
I hate brown too but it is not so bad mixed in with a pretty pastel!

Anonymous said...

I vote for hot pink, yep that's it....I've missed you, glad you are back in blogland. So sorry you got stung, that'll teach them to come after you Coll.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Coll,
now that is lovely fabric will look gorgeous as one of your lamps. I think Spotlight has black beading, that could be an idea maybe?
Im with Tracie, EEKKSS a good spider is a dead one, Sorry!
Hugs
Mands

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Gosh, I'm still afraid you'll show a spider! Come by and say hi to me and Alan - we've got something for you (it doesn't crawl....).
xoxo~Tracie

Alison Gibbs said...

Love the fabric but OUCH for the wasps.
Alison

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet Shannon's Mum, please stop by today, I have something for you.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Gail McCormack said...

Must have been good to get into the garden, our garden down here in Melbourne is so dry and crisp! Love the fabric, don't forget to show us the finished lamp.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the fabric! I am a big toile fan...(HATE BEES, WASPS, HORNETS~~~)

I would go with black fringe, or cream pearls or beading....
Hugs,
Penny

Dementia : Our Story said...

Thanks for stopping by Col. Spiders and wasps are icky! I always manage to get stung somehow :) they just love me! Love to see your frnech lap when you're finished.
huggs
Linda

Unknown said...

Hi Coll,

Glad you got rid of those wasps. I'm am so afraid of them, once there were a bunch in my mailbox and they got me good, ouch....I like your fabric, not sure what color would be good. I have to put things right next to each other first to see. Have a great weekend and stay clear of any wasps.