Monday, November 12, 2007

Things that go "BLAAAAAA" in the night & Why do men panic in an emergency?

Well, I'm not sure if that is how you'd spell it, but it sure made one hell of a noise. Saturday night, busy counting zzzzz's, 3.25am, when all of a sudden "BLAAAAAAAAA".
I leapt out of bed like I'd been shot, my DH, of course, was still snoring. I knew straigt away it was his car, the little Excel. It has a horn all it's own!
Rushed out the front of the house to make sure it was his car, then raced back inside to wake him (still snoring!!). How in Heaven's name can men sleep through things like that? Just as well the house wasn't on fire! You have no idea how loud a constantly blaring car horn is at 3.25 in the morning.
Okay, so he stumbles out, turns every light in the house on, (I'm soooo wide awake by this time anyway it doesn't matter), almost falls over one of the dogs, who is obviously wondering what the....?
Then he proceeds to yell at me because he can't find the shifter to disconnect the battery. No hope of finding the right wire at this particular time. Talk about running around like a chook with it's head cut off!!
I, by this time, am laughing my head off. What else could I do. This did not go down well with my DH, but it was funny! Maybe you had to be there, but I'm not sure all the neighbours it woke up thought it was funny.
Anyway, finally he gets the thing disconnected, throws the shifter back in the garage cupboard & marches back to bed, muttering nasty things about car horns & people who have a weird sense of humour. Surely he didn't mean me!
The next morning he & our nextdoor neighbour spent a whole hour peering into the motor, trying to find the right wire to disconnect. I did volunteer the information that maybe they could disconnect it from inside, where it is connected on the steering wheel, but that was pooh-hooed. Stupid woman, what do I know? (lol).
Anyway, you guessed it. No wire found in the motor, not one they could get to anyway, so eventually it did get disconnected, from the steering wheel, but not until my DH had driven to the local shops and back, with the horn going "Bleep" every now & then. hee hee hee.
So today it's off to the car hospital to get fixed, a man can't live without a horn to Beep at us stupid women drivers, eh.

Anyhooo, on a brighter note, because we had lots of sunshine yesterday after a week or more of rain, rain & rain (which we desperately need), I took some pics of our little coffee nook on our back patio. Recognise the table, Sue? I've planted blue & white Potato Vines (sound ugh, but they are really pretty) on the sunny side of the lattice, and they are growing like crazy, so soon we will have gorgeous bunches of flowers hanging down all over. It's becoming my favourite place to collapse after working in the garden. And yes, the little yellow bird is real, that's my canary, William, and he whistles beautifully. Bit of competition for the cockatoos in the noise department, but much nicer to listen to.




Hope you all have a lovely week.


Hugs, Coll :-}

PS: Anyone for tea & a cupcake?






23 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Men - can sleep and snore there way through anything and everything. Why is it that we women are the ones who have to jump out of bed and check what all the sounds are? How come the Knights in Shining Armour aren't ther to protect us?? Oh yeh, they're asleep.
Love the coffee nook.
Alison

Katrina Chambers said...

Hi! That is very funny!! I would have laughed too. I agree with Alison - men can sleep through anything.

I love your little coffee nook too. The birdcage is gorgeous. Have a great day...

Unknown said...

Okay, I really am LOL. It sounds just like what my hubby would do. And what a lovely place to have a cup of coffee and I was wondering if the bird was real also. I would love to have a spot like that in my backyard. And because I'm slow to catch on, are you Shannon's Mom? I didn't put it together till last week.

kari and kijsa said...

TeeHee! How funny! We will stay and sit a spell too- How about two lump in our tea!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

LOL! Oh my goodness! I had the best time picturing all of this! How funny!!! My husband can sleep thru anything too! I love your little coffee spot. I don't think I have ever heard of that kind of potato vine before. Sounds interesting. Maybe you can post some pictures of them up close! Thanks for the laugh Colleen! And YES.... I would love a cupcake and tea!
Barbara
Southern Lady's Vintage

SHARON LUV'S SHABBY said...

Hi Coll, I've got one of them too. Never listens to me and of course I'm always right, and would sleep through an earthquake. I LUV your cosy little spot for relaxing, don't we all need one of them. Can't wait to see some pics when your potato vine grows, my sister had one a few years back and they are lovely. Put the kettle on and I'll be over shortly...
Have a great night.
<3 Sharon

Lori said...

Coll, Boy you are so funny today!! Yep they can sleep through anything practically! Isn't it sad though how utterly smart we are as women and they NEVER listen to us????? Laughing still, Lori!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a 'hoot'!Ha Ha!!
Love the cosy, and relaxing nook, english breakfast is my favourite thankyou!And yes, I think morning tea is on the cards with Jules and Shannon....so who is going to organise it??
Great to see you back,
Sue

COLLS GARDEN said...

Hey Sue, I think I will get Shannon to organise us, she knows my work roster pretty well. Looking forward to it.
Hugs, Coll :-}

John Snelson said...

Hey Coll,

Yes I heard that horn ... and I am over in Turramurra !

Love your garden.

John

Unknown said...

Oh Coll ,that is so funny,lol! I would have been laughing too!!!

Love your pictures, yummy :)

Hugs,
Amy

Gail McCormack said...

Good thing you can see the funny side Coll, well I suppose you have to! Thanks for making me laugh this morning. Love your little nook.

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

hang on, im picturing it,,,,,yes i see it now, oh its sooo real and sooo funny !
LMAO because i so know how John would be carrying on while you are standing there laughing at him.

xo
p.s at least i CAN pop up for tea (or a milo) and cupcakes :)
lucky me.

Kara said...

soooo funny, you and shann crack me up, only you coud laugh like that.
Love the nook sooo pretty, oh I wish I could come for tea
kara
x

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh Coll! I am soooo glad you visited me at my blog! I am sorry you missed my 100th giveaway too. I will see you at my 200th.

I soooooooooooo enjoyed this post! I was on the floor laughing! My girlfriend and I have a saying. "MEN!" That says it all. I swear, if you lived in my town we would be best of friends!
Penny

Peta said...

Men never wake up. Jon conveniently for HIM slept through both our babies screaming in the night!
Your afternoon tea looks lovely :)

Cherub*Kisses said...

definitely sounds like a man for ya!! LoL!!
sounds just like my boys too!!... we must have about 4 cell phones with alarms that go off in the morning & of course no one hears them but me LoL!!
not really laughing though when one of them went off last week & sounded just like a smoke detector alarm ... actually I was quite irritated ... thankful it wasn't a smoke detector but flipping irritated!!!
on the brighter side... sipping tea sounds delightful ;o) I will bring the muffins ;o)
love your outdoor cafe Coll ~
hugs ~ Dionne

cherub*wishes said...

Hi Miss Coll ;o)
I deleted my blog ;o(
New one is under construction.....
Hope you have a beautifully blessed Holiday Season!!!
Hugs, Dionne

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Funny post, Coll!! I do believe men can sleep through ANYTHING!!

Love your little slice of heaven ~ would have so much fun coming to have tea & cupcakes with you & Shann!

Big Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

So funny! Can't believe he kept sleeping! What a wonderful little coffee nook. I'll be right there to jump ove big pond between us and have some coffee with you. My yard is full of snow and even though it's pretty, I think I prefer your sunshine. Even rain would be o.k.!

PurpleFlowerFairy said...

hey coll, i loved this post. your hubby cracks me up - lol! hey, guess what?! I'M BACK! check out my blog when you get a sec for my update =) huge christmas hugs to you!!! debbie

PurpleFlowerFairy said...

coll, where are you???... it's been over a month since you posted! come on back =) hugs, debbie

Unknown said...

Hey, I just realized you haven't posted in awhile! Hope everything is well with you. I just wanted to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. It's warm here in Ohio today, upper 50's and sunny. Not bad. Have a great holiday.