Thursday, February 7, 2008

Now I know I wanted new carpet, but this is a bit extreme

I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I HATE my carpet. It's brown. Need I say more. No-one in their right mind has brown carpet, do they? Ok, it was here when we bought the house 2.1/2 years ago & my DH has been promising that I could get new, maybe this year......

Well guess what. I'M GETTING NEW CARPET!!!!

Oh, BTW, did I mention that it's been raining a lot here lately. Now, I hear you saying, what the heck has that got to do with getting new carpet.

Well, on Wednesday Shannon, Sam & I went to pick up an ebay purchase of Shann's (which we didn't anyhoo cos the silly woman wasn't home & Shann was furious but Shann got the day wrong anyway, but that's another story}.

So, there we were, up in Katoomba & you can see right back to Sydney almost. The sky is getting really, really dark, kinda purple so I said we better get back because that looks nasty.

Nasty wasn't the word. We got back to my house, through bumper to bumper traffic & flooded roads, to discover that my house was flooded.

So, to cut a very long story short (I could go on gals, about Shann & I taking turns out in the pouring rain, breaking up concrete with a sledge hammer to help some of the water run away), Shann, Sam & I spent the next Lord only knows how many hours mopping up & trying to stop more water getting in the house.

Sam, God love him, helped his Nanny mop up wet carpet with towels & was a shining light in a very dismal night. Don't know what I would have done if they hadn't been there.

Shane (my SIL) drove up & brought Shann & Sam's stuff so they could stay the night.

My poor DH was away in Queensland visiting his elderly Mum & my step-daughter & her family, so I had to ring him & tell him to come home. No way was I doing all this on my own. He drove all day Thursday (12 hrs) to get back here.

BUT, NOW THE GOOD PART (yep, even in all that there is a good bit). NOT ONLY AM I GETTING NEW CARPET, ACCORDING TO THE INSURANCE MAN, I AM ALSO GETTING A NEW KITCHEN. (Big smiles here).


I kinda like my old kitchen, I love the colour that Shann painted it when we moved in, cos the cupboards were revolting, it's gorgeous French Blue. But, being an old kitchen, it's very porous evidently & the water damage is already starting to show.

So, Shannon, Sam & I spent all day Thursday packing all my pretties & storing them all in the computer room, which is the only room that didn't get the water. John & I have to finish off packing & moving most of the furniture so that the carpet can be pulled up.

Shannon, of course, always has her trusty camera ready (lol), so she took some happy snaps of the mess. The first one is us driving through part of the flooded road on the way back home.
Second is part of my kitchen & hallway after we mopped up the worst of it.
Don't you love the little river that was running through my laundry. And that's AFTER the worst was over. Sam, of course, is busy supervising Nanny & taking a little sustenance. Being the overseer is hard work :-}
The feet in the puddle are mine, after it had subsided a bit.


Packing up has progressed & I'll post some more photos later & tell you how BAD WET, DIRTY CARPET SMELLS!!!
Hugs, Coll :-}

18 comments:

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh Coll, so sorry about the mess, but yea to NEW CARPET!! I've been trying to get new carpet for 2 yrs. Think I should do a raindance?????

Big Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Ali said...

Thank you sweety, for the compliments on my new card hon. Poor you, but you know the all good things come to those who wait. Hope you can put up with the smell. Been there, done that, and it isn't pretty, hang in there and your new carpet with be super. ox Ali

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Coll, wow new carpet how wonderful. Mopping up all that wet has its rewards.
Hope the smell doesn't last too long.
Alison

Unknown said...

Wasnt it a ripper of a storm!! Here I am complaining about my studio leaking, and look at you!My insurance went through 12 months ago and still havent received new carpet yet!! But still got the leaks...oh Colleen, the smell!! Well a new kitchen will be worth it too!
Sue

Ruth Welter said...

Ow Coll, what a horrible flood you had, no fun at all. I've been in the same situation, only in my old basement and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope everything else goes smoothly for you. : )

I answered you question on my blog in the comments section.

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Hi Coll,
I know what you are going thru!
We had a flood in our basement once.....euuuuuu what a mess!
Thank God Shann and Sam were there to help!

New carpet and a new kitchen is worth all the work!
Can't wait to see the end results!

Hugz, Dolly

Sarah Baby said...

How lucky to be getting new carpet and new kitchen but what a terrible thing you had to go through. Once you have got everything sorted out it will be like living in a new house and you will forget all the smells and discomfort.
What a nice family you have helping you clean up and your grandson is gorgeous.

Sarah Baby said...

Your little grandson looks like a real sweety. Once you have got the new carpet and new kitchen you will forget the discomfort of wet carpet, I imagine the smell will be horrible.
It must have been a severe downpour to cause this much damage. Is this the first time your house has flooded.

PurpleFlowerFairy said...

oh coll! what a mess =( i probably would have sat there and cried, wait a minute, i did - lol! when our basement flooded years ago... but on the bright side you do get new carpet so i'm happy for you about that. hang in there girlie!!! hugs, debbie

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Shannon told us on the group about this and we have all been thinking about you Coll! New carpet and a new kitchen is nice!!
Hugs,
Barbara

Gail McCormack said...

Oh yuk!! Our sunroom flooded two days in a row just before Christmas and of course it was when I hadn't vacummed, there was dog and cat hair floating around and stuck to everything, I know how you feel Col, although yours was heaps worse, but what a wonderful result, how exciting, new carpet and a kitchen!!

Country Wishes said...

Oh you poor thing, but hey, new carpet is always nice, and when you get new carpet it easily snowballs into more new items that just have to match..lol
Have fun picking colors!
XCherrie

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

What troopers you all are -- you are so cheerful and optimistic, despite the soggy mess.
I know everything will be beautiful again.
:)

Wanda said...

Oh the mess is not fun...but a new kitchen, and carpet..Not bad!!!!

Be sure and post all that new stuff when it's in.

LOL Wanda

Deb said...

Hi Coll, WOW... what a storm it must have been. You poor thing having to go through all that. Lucky you had Shannon and your darling little Sam to help you out with hubby being away. Hope everything gets better soon.
Take Care
Deb x

Unknown said...

Oh No Coll!! I am so sorry!!! BUT at least you get new carpet! I need new carpet too, lol!

Love ya,
Amy

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness and you have a smile on your face? I probably would have been crying because wet carpet is such a mess. But hey yea to getting new carpet. Hope you dry soon.

Cherub Kisses Boutique said...

coll,
i'm so glad you and your family are safe... floods of any kind are never fun ;o(... thank goodness your daughter was with you since hubby was away.
hugs, dionne