Sunday, February 3, 2008

Taking husbands to garage sales is not a good idea

As you can tell from the above heading, I took my DH garage sale-ing with me on Saturday. Bad idea, very bad idea. I'm normally pretty good with what I spend (really, I am - lol), but having hubbie peering over my shoulder every time I picked something up was very off-putting. He kept muttering "how much is it?" and "haven't we got enough junk?" Will these men never understand, you can never have enough "junk" as they call it.
Anyhoo, I was a good girl, there wasn't a lot about anyway, the weather was lousy & I think some of the sales got cancelled, although I did get some goodies for ebay.
But the really good thing was, we ended up in Leura, which for all you who don't know, is a gorgeous village a little higher up in our beautiful Blue Mountains. So I got to have Devonshire Tea in one of my favourite Antique stores, Beautiful Bygones.
They have a little restaurant/cafe right in the middle of the store, which is a beautiful old turn-of-last-century home. Nothing in there I can afford though. And yes, guess who forgot to take her camera, again!
Oh well, I promise to next time. But I can tell you that the scones, jam & cream were delicious.
So, this is what I bought.

This is actually a table which has been padded, covered & used as a seat. I quite like it the way it is. My pic is at an odd angle though, I wanted to show the fabric. Very French Chic, I think. This is off to ebay.



I just love this , she looks soooo elegant, doesn't she. It's on canvas. Very tempted to keep her, but she's going to ebay too.

Got this lovely old shabby frame too, I think I will keep this one, maybe another coat of paint & then rub it back a bit.

These are some of my things on ebay at the moment.

Gorgeous vintage cake plate just covered in the prettiest pink roses, daisies & tulips.



This was a daggy old silverplate dish which was past it's prime, so it's had several coats of Satin White & now it looks lovely & fresh. It's decorated with gum nuts, leaves & ferns. Very Aussie. Guess who made the cuppies?



Don't you just love this pretty pink & rosey tray. I have a thing about pretty trays, I just loooove 'em.

So, now I had better go do some blog hopping & see what all you other gals are up to.
Have a great day.
Hugs, Coll :-}

20 comments:

Katrina Chambers said...

Hi Coll, I am laughing at that! I agree - never ever take them hahaha. At least you got some finds to brighten your day :)

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh Coll, don't you know to never, ever take a man to any garage sale. They just want to know why you want something!! Don't they know that there is no reason for having some things - we just have to have them.
Alison

Wanda said...

Hi Girlfriend. You are collecting and buying...and I'm trying my best to sort and give away so I don't have to move so much.

I do love your little shopping trip, and anything pink catches my eye.

Thanks for your prayers for Aunt Cassie...cannot believe she is still with us...will update again in a few days...It's all in the Lord's hands...!! LOL

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Great find! I love anything repurposed into something pretty and practical! Yes, my DH does the same when we are shopping. He knows the "junk" we buy at yard sales end up in "his" garage until we have time to fix them up.

Thanks for stopping by saying hello at my blog! Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Coll,

Thanks so much for visiting my new blog. This is so exciting. I love your blog and all of your pretties. Sometimes I take my husband to garage sales and he finds more than I do, you know tools, etc. not exciting to us but to them great finds.

I am looking forward to blogging and have added you to my list. Thanks so much.

Warmest Regards,
LeAnn

Unknown said...

OH Coll! I love everything you picked up! It sounds like a delightful time despite hubby looking over your shoulder, LOL! What a charming place to have tea! I cant wait to see pictures next time you go :) Now you have me hungry for scones! I may have to make some today!

Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

Oh Coll, what were you thinking???I cant believe you still managed to go home with a few things up your sleeve! Love the stool/ table!
I see you have some competition with your lamps...Some woman from 'Paint mine Pink' is making lamps, not bad either!LOL
Sue

COLLS GARDEN said...

Yep, I did see that Sue, but I've threatened to disinherit her if she puts em up for sale (hee hee) & she does want my cherub with the pink roses.
:-}

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

I guess my hubby has learned to keep his mouth shut. He just shakes his head. Poor guy! LOl! Love all your finds Coll! And of course Shannon's pretty cupcakes are beautiful!
Barbara

Siobhan said...

Hello Coll,

I just love all your great finds but what are you doing taking hubby shopping? Every time I go shopping with mine we end up in a fight lol. So it is better I leave him home and do all my bits without him. I must say...my son Jake is a great little man to go shopping with!!! Helps me find some fantastic treasures and does not worry how much I spend lol.

Siobhan xo

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

Hellllooo Mummy :)

i want the seat/chair/table thingy as well as the cherub lamp you know.

I will consider the lamp as payment for doing all your photos for you and using my cuppies as props...LOL

mwah

Country Wishes said...

I love the tray, your garden is to die for! Oh and the bedroom looks fab!
Everyone should have a pink bedroom!
XCherrie

Cherub Kisses Boutique said...

Hi Coll ;o)
Sounds like when the boys go shopping with me LoL! I have one that watches every little thing I drop in my cart & questions my need for any of it ;o)
... but I soo love the pink tray with polka dots & roses ~ so pretty!
Have a beautiful day Coll
**smiles**
Dionne

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

i recognize those cuppies anywhere! Everything looks lovely. Love your purchases and next time shhhhh.... leave your sweet hubby home and you'll bring home even more!

Unknown said...

It's never fun to take my hubby shopping with me, he doesn't like to spend money. LOL But I love all of your things, the cake plate is gorgeous and so is the tray.

PurpleFlowerFairy said...

hey coll, i love all of the pretties that you found. men! they can be a bit of a pain at times... lol! =) hugs, debbie

Peta said...

Wow, fabulous finds Coll, I don't know how you manage to part with them! Peta xx

FrostingsNSparkles said...

Wow, Coll, that tray is the most beautiful tray ever!!!!! I am drooling over those polka dots, drooling I tell ya!! I think they should pass a law about husbands and garage sales...if they come, they are not allowed to talk, unless its to say "Can I carry that/pay for that, honey?" :)

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Coll ~ how do I find your ebay auctions? I really like that glamourous gal & the chandy!

Big Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Gail McCormack said...

I hate taking Tony to garage sales because he spends too much money and looks at everything, I'm the opposite, quick glance around and off to the next one. Love all your goodies ready for ebay Coll, so pretty!