Friday, August 31, 2007

Father's Day, Sweet Memories & some tears

We have Father's Day this coming Sunday and I got to thinking while I was doing the dishes this morning.

John & I both have lost our Dads (& my Mum too). My Dad, Frederick (Fred) passed away almost 17 years ago, aged 89. He was in his mid forties when I was born, I was the last of eleven children. He was born in 1901. As you can imagine, he had a very tough life, coming from a not very well off family. His Mother was in a Mental Institution from the time he was 2 yrs old, Dad didn't even know she was alive until she passed away when he was 15. What can possess people to keep things like that a secret from children. He & his brother Gordon were mostly raised by his Maiden Aunt, Ida who, by all accounts, was an unloving woman & a strict disciplinarian. His father, it seems, couldn't cope with raising the 2 boys. He did have a couple of sisters, who he completely lost touch with.

He married my Mum, Minnie, when he was 18 & she was 17 and they raised all those children, through the Depression years when there was no work and Dad did all sorts of jobs, even chocolate making, to feed everyone. After the 2nd World War, he learnt a trade, Blacksmithing, which then became Welding and when he retired from the work force, he was one of the best in the business. He also had a wonderful singing voice, won many talent quests and I often think, if times had been different, what he could have been.

He was at times a hard father, but I always knew he loved us. I helped him through some tough times after Mum died 27 yrs ago, they had been married almost 60 yrs. He lost 2 children (& I lost a brother & a sister) during those 10 years. He carried me though some tough times after my divorce and thankfully, was around to see John & I marry 5 yrs later. This pic is of both our Dads at our wedding reception/party in my neighbours back yard, my Dad is on the left.



John's Dad, Edwin (Ed) passed away nearly 4 yrs ago, aged 86. He was a country boy from Victoria, he also lost his Mum early on and the family was scattered about. He came from a large family and fortunately, they managed to all keep in touch with each other over the years.
He was a train driver for most of his life and a heavy smoker for a lot of it and this resulted in him developing Emphysema, which eventually put a strain on his heart.
He & my Mum-in-Law lived in Queensland, and fortunately John had gone to visit them, because his Dad had been ill. His Dad had a massive heart atack that weekend & passed away in John's arms.
They were both wonderful, hard working men and loving husbands & fathers, grandfathers & great-grandfathers & we miss them very much.


RIP - Safe in God's arms. Happy Father's Day Dads, we love you.


Coll.

13 comments:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

I enjoyed reading about your dad and your father-in-law. People surely went through some tough times back then..... my dad had a hard life too, but what a great Dad I had, and sounds as though you did also!
I'm glad your dads were both able to be there for your wedding.... I tried to enlarge the pic but it stayed small.
Thanks for sharing the special memories!
:)

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

ok you warned me not to read it didnt you..... but you know me...i read it and now im sitting here crying.
I miss them too :)
xxoo

Alison Gibbs said...

Those of us that have lost parents be it Mother or Father know how you feel. Have happy thoughts of your dads over this Fathers Day Weekend. Alison

Lori said...

Coll, What a beautiful tribute. I only wonder why at least in my country the younger men of today are not as strong emotionally as the men of my father and his generation. As with yours they were such strong men that overcame so much and lived a long life. Now a days men just ccollapse and can't be there for there families or their own self. What caused the change, my daughter and I always wonder. Bless you on this day and thank you for letting us into what to a difficult but sweet post, Love, Lori

Lori said...

Coll. Forgot to mention, remember those butterflies around you yesterday? I think I know where they came from, think about it, your not alone at this time afterall. Lori

COLLS GARDEN said...

oh Lori, of course, the butterflies. I didn't even think of it. How wonderful, thank you for reminding me.
Hugs, Coll :-}

Unknown said...

Oh, this post just broke my heart! To imagine what some people have to endure in their lives. You just wonder why! Thank you so much for letting is into your life and to hear about your wonderful fathers!

Bless you this Father's Day. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Hugs,
Amy

Katrina Chambers said...

Coll, this post is very special and I really enjoyed reading it. Such touching and wonderful lives! I bet they are watching you both all the time. Happy Fathers day to them and I am sure you will be thinking about them lots tomorrow!
-Katrina :)

Wanda said...

What a wonderful tribute...I sit with tears, as I remember my own Dad andd Mom who are not with us anymore. Wonderful sincere, post, Thank You Coll.

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

This is such a precious post Coll and I enjoyed reading it so much. I am so happy that both your dad and your husband's dad were able to be at your wedding. Thank you for sharing this post to us all.
Barbara

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Wonderful tribute, my dear sweet Coll. Brought tears to my eyes.

How wonderful that both dads were able to attend your wedding.

I sure wish my daddy (who I lost 6 mo. ago yesterday) could be here to see my daughter get married in 8 weeks.

Hugs to you,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

COLLS GARDEN said...

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments on this post, we all had a great Father's Day & yes, our Dads were there, in our hearts & minds.
Coll :-}

Sharon said...

Hi Coll, what a very beautiful tribute to those you have loved. It brings to memory our own long passed dear one's.